June 24, 2011

A Great Annoyance

There is something that has annoyed me to no end here in Germany. Now that we are leaving (in a few days), it's time to get it out in the open: I am not okay with people eating ice cream when it is cold.

Ice cream eating is so common here - this store had to put up a sign against eating it in the store.
And of course, I had to take a picture.

The only reasonable time to eat ice cream outside is when it is at least about 70 degrees Fahrenheit (21 degrees Celsius). In the home, it's a totally different story - I could care less about when people eat ice cream at home. But it's when I see irresponsible ice cream eating, that I can't stop ranting about it. Poor Greg bears the brunt of it, too.

I've seen many different situations in which Germans are walking around with ice cream cones on a very chilly day. I understand that maybe the German idea of a warm day is different, but if you're wearing a long shirt (or a coat!), that should be a sign that eating ice cream is not going to help your situation. 

Notice: it was a hot day.
(and those really were beautiful ice creams, don't you think?)

Sure, ice cream sellers deserve to make a living - yes, that's true. However, what about serving hot chocolate on a chilly day instead? They need to be a bit more imaginative.

That's my rant about ice cream. I hope you agree. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment