April 14, 2010

Israel Pesach Recap

This trip to Israel (Greg's second!) was much more family-focused than before. Although that didn't mean that we remembered all the young cousins' names right away by looking at them... oops, what a bad cousin I am! It gets hard when you have 15 cousins on one side.

Highlights of our trip:

  • Great food and desserts forced upon us by family.
  • Knowing there wasn't much more I wanted to do on the Eilat shore than read my book, take a quick beach nap and have a lemon popsicle.
  • Checking out the ancient copper mines and sandstone arch at Timna.
  • Walking outside our door to pick fresh lemons, oranges, pomelas and shesekim (the last two were my favorites).
  • Catching up on American movies we'd missed with my aunt and uncle, Dari and Arie.
  • Running into two brothers from my high school/college days by coincidence in Jerusalem of all places!
  • Meeting the mini-cheerleaders of the Kibbutz Elipaz as they cheered on their dads and family in a soccer game against the German youths we were traveling with. They were about 8 years old - the best part was when Greg grabbed one of their pom poms and showed them what was what!
  • Figuring out the map of Tel Aviv and getting to Sheinkin street on our own for a little indie shopping (even though my favorite store had closed :-(.
  • Walking around in my flip flops every second I could!
  • Chilling out at a bar called Rosa Parks with my cousins Dana and Noa... the bar even spelled Rosa Parks in Hebrew! Check out our photos for a look at the bar napkin, if you don't believe me.
  • Being taken to one of the best falafel and hummus places in Jerusalem by my grandma - just in the Damascus gate in the Old City. Then, tasting za'atar straight from the bin!
  • Discovering the fabric street of Tel Aviv - I've got to start planning my fabric buys for next time.
  • Greg's personal favorite was probably Jesus smoking and sitting in front of a sign saying "I've arrived" in Tel Aviv.
  • Lastly, who can forget the Pesach (Passover for the Americans) with 37 people attending?! We got through it in about 30 minutes and with champagne steadily supplied to me by Dana.

Enjoy our photos:

Israel

In case you missed them (or if you didn't know us then ;-), here are pics from our last trip to Israel, December 2007:
Israel 07-08

No comments:

Post a Comment