April 18, 2010

Saturday at the Flea Market

We spent a great day yesterday at the Theresienwiese flea market. This was not your ordinary flea market - it was massive! To give you an idea of it's size, I believe they wrote in the newspaper (I was too lazy to look up all the words this morning) that there were 2,000 stalls and 20,000 people expected at that market. It was packed, but it was fun to see all different kinds of people walking away with cool stuff. Greg was especially jealous of the antler paraphernalia (chairs, tables, the usual wall mountings).

It was a beautiful day and we rode down on our bikes with my fellow flea market afficionado, Treas, and her daughter Roishin. Treas scored a few more tins for her collection and a set of beautiful green crystal champagne flutes. I found a perfect-sized old Spanish tin for my increasingly unmanageable earring collection - the tin was originally for drill bits. I like the juxtaposition of the tough exterior and girly interior. I also grabbed a nice lace dolly that I'm going to take apart soon to make lace appliques.

All in all, we were there 2 hours and covered maybe 1/6th of the flea market. It was that huge! It was really fun to be out on a gorgeous day. Since Germany doesn't have as many accessible charity/thrift stores like we do in the US, I think this is how they shop for second-hand stuff. It's now the season for flea markets and every neighborhood has one in the spring.

The apartment building tenants pool all their items into their courtyards on the selected day for that neighborhood and people come around. Apparently, our neighbor was saying that our courtyard is one of the less pretty ones around here and people look down on it when they come by. Maybe I'll take charge this year and artfully display our wares so they overlook what I think is a perfectly fine courtyard. We'll see who dares to make fun of our courtyard then!

No comments:

Post a Comment