November 16, 2010

Dramatics Everyday

I've realized recently how much my day revolves around using gestures and facial expressions to express my feelings. When I can't think of the right German words (um, pretty much all the time), I just resort to acting out what I'm trying to say. It's probably funny for anyone who's not trying to guess what I'm saying. And even those who don't know the answers, try to guess so really it's fun for no one!

The other day I was in the sewing store and I didn't prepare ahead of time with the word for snap closure, a word that I stumble through in English as well. I get to the store and I start trying to explain a snap closure to this German saleslady through gestures.

Only when I did it, I was not nearly as cute.

To paint the picture, it basically looked like I was making the baby sign language sign for "more" (thanks to our niece Abby and her mama Jan for this knowledge!). Have no fear if you don't know what that looks like, I've found a picture online to share. Is it any wonder that she just looked at me like I was an idiot and invited me to take a look around.

I was mollified afterward when she asked me what the English word for it was when I did end up finding it. To top it all off, I said the wrong word in English, too!

So somewhere in Munich, there's a German saleswoman who is trying to remember the wrong word for snap closure because some silly American lady stumbled into her shop and gave her misinformation. Oh well, at least she won't have to suffer through my charade attempts anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment